Monday, November 3, 2008

Reading Response "Ableism"

After reading the "Ableism" article I now understand the many different types of disabilities. I never clearly understood how many disabilities are out there I always thought mentally, walking, seeing, and hearing when I thought of the term disability. The author agrees with this and furthermore states performing manual tasks, working, and even reproducing (Peters). An interesting point the author brings up is how ableism is like a form of oppression that focuses on an individual, cultural, and institutional levels (Peters). As the author stated before the 1990's many Americans with disabilities were not sure if they were capable of receiving the federal services. This must have been frightening for many people. I believe that today we still need to come up with more of these acts similar to the ADA to better situate those who suffer from disabilities.

No comments: