Friday, November 21, 2008

#5 Service Learning

For my fifth service learning session I wanted try something new. So, I came after school on a Monday to the Writing Club which runs from 3:30-5:30. The writing club consisted of half of Ms. Byrd-good's class and the other half comes from the rest of the other third graders. This program is optional, but highly recommended for those who are foreign and struggling with writing. On the other hand, it can also be taken as an aftercare.
My job was to set the room up for the afternoon session. I helped pass out snacks and read a story to the class. Then when the class started writing I helped along with the teacher by answering any question or helping those who were troubled by getting them started. My goal was not to give anything away, but make them work without being puzzled. The topic was what is your favorite place to visit and why? A few kids did struggle at early on in the class. However, after awhile the majority wrote some very good papers. What surprised me even more was how the whole class volunteered all fifteen students! I remember when I was in these types of situations back in fifth grade and even today sometimes how I just tighten up and not share my thoughts. Another thing that really impressed me about this class is how everybody was cooperating by being well-behaved and actually thinking which can be challenging for many students at the end of a long day. During the last five minutes nobody packed up or stopped working. To me I find if students like these are having fun learning and are understanding what is taking place then that is a successful day for them and as well me too.
The teacher was so proud that she wanted to reward everybody the next time by bringing in a movie. She had told me that the writing club had been a struggle in the past. Before she had a problem with students refusing to work, which really puts her on the spot. Thankfully, now those students have finally changed for the better and have come along nicely. Another major problem that occurred earlier and that has now been rectified is that there were some behavior problems. The teacher was not even controlling the class due to the lack of respect the students had. Now for the most part it looks that the majority of third graders are enjoying learning and are either getting back on track or some are above par with the extra learning time. Ms. Byrd-good was commenting on how there has usually been one or two kids that have to be retained every year, but as of now there were no students that were involved in that situation.
As we wrapped up the writing session everybody walked out to meet there parents with a grimace on there face. Several students took the bus home which surprised me that they would have an activity bus this late in the day for this small of a school. That day really helped build up my confidence(teaching wise). Before I felt uncomfortable getting in front of a class with 20+ students. My biggest fear was stumbling while reading or giving the wrong advice and somebody trying to embarrass me. However, this was cured after seeing how respectful everybody was of each other and themselves.

No comments: