Saturday, November 22, 2008

# 6 Service Learning

My sixth service learning journal was my final tenth visit. I found this challenging because it was my last day and I did not want to say goodbye. Especially after the class invited me on a field trip with them to Greenfield Village. This was a normal late morning session that I had attended. We started off with recess optional outdoors/indoors the majority stayed inside and played board games while a few went outside all bundled up to play soccer in thirty-five degree weather. Following recess it was time for Art, so I walked the class down to art and watched the half hour session. The Art teacher was an African American fellow who had immigrated many years ago from Africa his name was Jesse Jay Washington (Mr. Washington). At first I thought he was rather strict, but he then let the students take over and have their freedom while they were sculpting their clay pots. I was amazed at some of the work these kids were capable of doing. One child had coils around the whole pot with a very neat design on top. In class, I found out that two children's mothers were artists.
After Art, the class quietly walked back to class and the teacher had set apples out for everyone including myself. They then started on a jumpstart which is similar to ours in teaching class. It is like a lead in to the next assignment or task. The jumpstart is only for English (grammar corrections) and it is a grade everyday. Many students find this challenging because the jumpstarts can often be tricky. The jumpstart has two grades one for participation and completing the assignment and the other is right and wrong. After the jumpstart I had announced to everybody that this was my last session at Red Cedar. The majority were disappointed that I was leaving so soon and others said that I should come back. To me this was like a pat on the back and I felt proud. For the rest of the day Ms. Byrd-good basically made me a teacher's aide. There was a lot of work that needed to be done. Such as copying papers and future lesson plans, grading tests, setting up the calendars, and cutting out construction paper for activities.
Towards the end of my service learning the teacher aide Ms. Velasquez had quit due to a fallout with the teacher. This made the workload much heavier for me and unfortunately I was unable to work with the class as much. This was one of the most disappointing this for me at Red Cedar. Other than that I cannot complain on how fair everybody was to me from the principle to the teachers and staff to the students. This was something I will remember forever. It also helped influence me on becoming a teacher one day. I was always curious and continued to ask myself is teaching enjoyable will I like it? I had found the answer at Red Cedar this was the deciding factor. Finally before I walked out I told the teacher that I will be coming back in the winter and spring at least several times a month to help be part of Red Cedar. As I walked out I told her how passionate I am about wanting to teach now and how that she and her class deserve all the credit for making their class a comfortable learning environment.

No comments: