Monday, October 6, 2008

RDSJ Reading Responses

In this article I learned that the best way to fight racism is to become friends with somebody of the opposite race of oneself. This makes lots of sense to me, but I find this rather challenging to go out and make friends with somebody of the opposite race of myself especially coming from an area where there were very few people of another race. The author also discusses race and gender and he considers those as just words which I agree with. An example that the author used and really helped me understand this section on privilege better was with the thirteen year old girl wanting to become a professional baseball player. I guess it really does not matter how amazing you are, but if you are not a man then the chances of you becoming a professional baseball player are slim to none because it is a man sport. The author's example helped me understand privilege better, but still has me a little confused. Does this mean that I am privilged to be white? Besides that I am also curious am I racist for being white and having no other raced friends?

No comments: